Building Energy Rating Assessor

In order to obtain a Building Energy Rating it is obvious that Building Energy Assessors must be trained and registered. The body for registration is Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI). In order to be registered as an assessor one must attend a training course that has been certified by the Higher Education and Training Awards Council (HETAC). A number of courses will be offered to prospective assessors from
March 2007 onward. The duration of the course you attend to become an assessor will depend on your technical experience in / of energy in buildings. The specification for the course and the subjects that an assessor must understand are available from SEI or the publications page.

The Limerick Clare Energy Agency will provide/facilitate training for assessors using the training modules developed by the Association of Irish Energy Agencies (AIEA). This standard methodology will be available around the county, usually in association with local Universities and Institutes of Technology. Full Details of Courses / locations will be available here over the coming weeks.

Assessors for Dwellings - New
The Minister for the Environment, Heritage and Local Government has published “The European Communities (Energy Performance of Buildings) Regulations, 2006 (S.I. No. 666)”. Under these regulations the transitional exemption period for the introduction of BER for new dwellings takes effect from the 31st December 2006. Therefore dwellings for which planning applications are submitted as and from 1 January 2007, require a BER when offered for sale or rent.

Assessors for Dwellings - Existing
The skills and experience required to conduct this type of assessment will be similar to that for new builds, but site surveying and validation of findings will be an important feature of the assessment procedure. The accreditation for assessors will require some Continuing Professional Development (CPD) evidence in this area.

Assessors for Dwellings
The training and skills required for non dwellings will different from that of dwellings because the range of issues that will need to be addressed such as:

  • Boiler inspection
  • Air conditioning certification / operation
  • Ventilation methodology
  • Alternative Energy requirements

I regret that LCEA does not conduct BER assessments for individual houses. To find an assessor please contact Sustainable Energy Ireland (01 83 69 08 0) or preferably look up their National Register of BER Assessors.

BER Label